Whilst there is a very serious intent, it is crucial that
you should Have Fun. If you do, the inmates will as well. You should want to
share the joy of your work.
Dress Conservatively. Wear comfortable clothes as if
you were going to rehearsal. Be covered.
Bring your passport, drivers licence or other piece of
significant identification to ensure Security clearance at the Prisons main gate.
Do leave any valuables you may have on your person in a
safety area defined prior to the Workout itself.
- . Be interested in them. They will make the
day for you, much as you may well make it for them.
When the inmates enter the Workout space, you should extend
your hands to them and greet them warmly
- Dont be
frightened to bring them into a Clumps or an Interspersing Segment, much as you might any
As long as it is not in any manner which could be mistrued
as provocative, it is vitally important to involve the inmates.
- Dont hesitate.
If you ever have any safety or other concerns, do ask the
prison staff member present.
In the case of Clumps ALL LSW members are expected to
- Bring them in Use them as characters. If they respond
and we hope they will hold to your text or change text if you think it
apropos. You should always be next to an inmate, and not another LSW member unless
specifically directed otherwise by the Workout Co-ordinator.
Do Interact. Always involve the Inmates. IN CLUMPS
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY.
- : (journalists, cameras,
dignitaries, other staff including Governors, royalty, etc.) treat them as if they were
just another participant.
If special guests are present
- When an imate is GOOD TELL
THEM THEYRE GREAT. THEY, like all of us, NEED IT.
DO ALWAYS REWARD.
- Do not give UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, short of your first name, your address, stage
name, car make or any other piece of peronal information in terms of outside
identification to an inmate.
- Dont UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ask an inmate after his offense, and refuse any
information on the same should such be offered you. They are serving their time, we
are there to assist, hopefully with the future. LSW maintains a Dont
Ask/Dont Tell policy.
- Dont UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE bring anything with you into the prison other than
that which is immediately necessary to (a) the workout and (b) your well being. Mobile
phones will be collected and stored at the main gate, and no metal items (umbrellas,
spoons, etc.) are permitted once inside.
- Dont UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES dress provocatively. You must be covered. Do
not wear unduely tight fitting clothing, or anything which could be misinterpreted
as sexully stimulating, (e.g., leather trousers, etc.) Jeans, t-shirts (rehearsal
clothes) are fine.
- If an Inmate or a Prison Official wishes to contact you, they must IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES
do so by writing c/o the LSW Prison Project and all communication MUST
be forwarded through the Education Office of the Prison in question.
- Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should there be any sexually provocative behaviour involving any
inmate, LSW or Prison/Education Staff Member. This includes such activities as
kissing, blowing of kisses, sitting in laps, stroking with intent, etc. Any suggestion of
such will result in immediate termination of LSW association and potential criminal
charges. Inmates in particular are vulnerable as, being in prison, they meet with limited
- IF AN LSW PRISON PROJECT MEMBER MONITOR (2 on each session) asks you to cease a certain
activity DO SO IMMEDIATELY. Only question them, should you wish, afterwards.
- Dont be frightened. You are safer inside than you are in many outside